Saturday, March 7, 2009

(Re-) Starting Research in Computing

My idea for this blog is to share ideas for getting going in Computing Research, as a sort of self-help group. Like many academics (I suppose) my own research has got stuck and needs restarting. Over the decades I have gained a great deal of research experience, leading projects, supervising PhD students, examining... and have recently been busy on other things.
I also enjoy writing software too much, and teaching diverse new topics, and neither of these help to maintain a research focus.
So now I need to choose a new topic, and in case it proves useful to other academics in the same position I plan to document the process. I'm 61 but that's not too old - I still learn new things, and just this week passed one of Sun's professional exams. I have some ideas for different angles to write about in this blog, and hope to add an article about once a week.
Comments and contributions to this blog are welcome - please email me. But put the blog title in the subject line please, as I have a strong email filter.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphereMalcolm.

    Some tips for blogging:
    Blog often - thoughts, questions and responses.
    Include/embed links - link to an explanation/definition rather than re-writing it.
    Promote your blog - include link in email signature.
    Build community - encourage others to blog join technorati.
    Get a RSS aggregator.
    Respond to comments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Malcolm
    I have not seen any new information (updates) on your blog!
    Krishna

    ReplyDelete